Don't mind that I'm a Hawkeye fan - I'm not here to troll. The Chizik fiasco has me feeling bad for the ISU fans, and I obviously have more than a curious interrest in whom ISU replaces him with.
Who's realistically got a shot at the job? And who's right for the job? I see a few categories that the candidates could fall in:
Recently fired head coaches:
- Ty Willingham (He recruits good student-athletes. While Washington was a flame-out, Stanford and Notre Dame still look good on resume, especially given that Weis has only been successful with Ty's recruits.)
- Tommy Tuberville (It would be ironic, karmic, and one helluva talk-radio wundertopic.)
- Phillip Fulmer (Ties to the South and East recruiting hotbeds)
Coaches looking for a comeback
- Uncle Glen Mason (He knows how to recruit in the midwest, and how to re-build. He also knows second-half and second-half of the season collapses. As an Iowa fan, this hire would be very fun for me.)
- Dan McCarney (As Chizik showed, you could do worse. But seriously, he's coaching a team that is playing for a National Champinship, and now has ties to recruiting hot-bed Florida. Mac in 2008 is a huge upgrade to Mac in 2005.)
Current hot names:
- Turner Gill (A return to the Big 12. Minority candidate. Plus, from all accounts, he's so darned likeable.)
- Skip Holtz (Not sure if ISU is an upgrade from Easter Carolina.)
That's a start. There are names to add to those categories, and there are other categories that y'all can fill in for me, such as Former ISU Assistants/Players, etc. Whom am I missing, and whom will get the job?