Hosted this week by I Am The 12th Man.
1. We are three-fourths of the way through the season now, with either 2 or 3 games remaining for your respective teams. What players have surprised you, what players have disappointed you this year?
Surprised: The Offensive Line. Thought they would be a huge problem for us this year, but they've been the strength of this team. Also Jesse Smith. I am not going to lie in that I doubted his abilities last year. He's kind of like a "Rudy". He was a Walk-On now Captain, who has to play out of his mind every week to be effective.
Disappointed: The WR corps. There was the injury to Darius Reynolds that did not help, and I think Marquis Hamilton has done OK. I was expecting Darius Darks and Sedrick Johnson to step it up, and it just doesn't seem like they've been able to get going much this year.
2. Name a player on another Big 12 team who you think has underachieved or been a disappointment this season (I don't consider someone getting knocked out by injury a disappointment, so no references to Robert Griffin, please).
There are so many to go around here. I think Darrell Scott has to be there. In 5 games, only rushed for 95 yards on 23 attempts. Preseason, people were expecting big things. Also, I don't like guys that quit the team during the year... Continue to practice, go to class, work hard, then do the transfer in time for the next semester.
3. What player on another Big 12 team has surprised you or surprassed your expectations this season?
Ndamukong Suh. He was talked about in the preseason, but he was better than I thought he would be. He's lived up to the hype and then some, which is hard to say about a player from Nebraska, as Husker fans love to hype their players up!
4. Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh is the most dominant defensive tackle I have seen in years. Who do you think is the last dominant defensive tackle you can compare him to at the college level? Is there one to compare him to for the last 10 years?
Hard to say. I thought Glenn Dorsey was very good his Junior year. While Suh is great, he benefits from being on a good D-Line in that he isn't getting double teamed every down. I think Dorsey was pretty much the main guy on the line in LSU, so he got a lot of double teams. At the same time, I've only followed the college game for about 8 years, most of which are spent at Iowa State games. I've only followed this closely for about the past 3 or 4 years. Hard for me to say, but Dorsey comes to mind.
5. Right now, who is your pick for Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Newcomer of the Year, and Offensive and Defensive Freshman of the Year?
Offensive POY:Jordan Shipley. 4th in the Nation in Receiving Yards. I think the Big 12 QBs have been disappointing with the amount of picks thrown and/or overall team success
Defensive POY: Ndamukong Suh. Talked about hiim plenty already
Newcomer: Daniel Thomas. Leads the Big 12 in rushing and is a big reason why K-State has been better than expected this year... I personally hate K-State, but he deserves it.
Offensive Frosh: Alex Torres, WR, Texas Tech. Leads Freshmen WRs in receptions with 43 catches in 9 games. He's a good kick returner, so that's sort of the tie breaker for me with him.There aren't really any high impact freshmen players this year.
Defensive Frosh: Aldon Smith, DE, Mizzou. 4th in the Big 12 in sacks with 9. Also second in the Big 12 in TFL with 15 for 101 yards.
6. Power rank the teams, 1-12.
- Oklahoma State
- Texas Tech
- Texas A&M
- Iowa State
- Baylor. Yes you beat Missouri, congrats. You still aren't that good.