The Cyclones have a long way to go. I'm hopeful but tempering expectations (last spring was rough, too). I didn't take notes, but here are my quick thoughts.
- First team offense got off to a really slow start. Too many dropped balls. Some open, easy catches were dropped. But Sedrick Johnson had a good day - nine catches for 100 yards.
- Jesse Smith and Kennard Banks both intercepted the ball. Smith returned his pick for a touchdown.
- Backup quarterback Jerome Tiller looked really good, breaking a long run for a TD.
- Despite a hamstring injury, receiver Darius Darks played.
- Jeremiah Schwartz lived up to his billing as a bruising back. Bo Williams busted a nice run.
- Grant Mahoney hit all three field goal attempts. Zach Guyer had a rough day.
- The PA announcer kept calling defensive end Roosevelt Maggitt and linebacker Josh Raven's names. Raven seemed to be in on a lot of tackles.
- A little worried about how easily the defense was getting to Arnaud, who had a less than spectacular day.
Update: Arnaud quietly completed 22-of-35 and ended the game with 250 yards and touchdown. Maybe I hung too much on the early pair of interceptions.
Check out the AP's recap here.