This afternoon is another Cyclone Basketball Game! For the first time in a while, the Cyclones are coming off of a win. I would expect them to come out pumped with even more confidence. I hope that translates into a win!
Let's look at Oklahoma State:
- They have very good guard-play with Anderson, Muonelo, Eaton, and Harris averaging over 14 ppg each, and about 61 ppg combined.
- They are 2nd in the Big XII in scoring at 82.8 ppg (ISU is 11th at 65.2ppg)
- They are 6th in the Big XII in FG% at 46% (ISU is 11th at 43%)
- They are 1st in the Big XII in 3pt % at 39.4% (ISU is 9th at 34.5%)
- They are a mediocre rebounding team as they lack talented big men.
- With their style of play, they like to run. Not necessarily as much as Mizzou or KSU, but they like to get out and get transition points.
Keys to the Game:
- Since they don't have any talented big men, I would say that ISU should attack inside with Brackins, Hamilton, and JVB. We don't want to get in a 3 point shooting contest with them.
- Play good defense. OSU scores a lot more points than we do on average. We are NOT a 80+ point kind of team. If we're going to win this game, it will have to be in the 60s.
- Control the ball. OSU likes to score off of turnovers. If you can take care of the ball and run your halfcourt offense, it will help control the pace of the game and it will limit OSU's points off of turnovers.
Finally, let's look at the Big XII Conference Standings:
Big Twelve Conference Standings
(updated 2.12.2009 at 1:31 AM CST)
|Kansas St. Wildcats||6||4||17||7|
|Texas A&M Aggies||3||6||17||7|
|Oklahoma St. Cowboys||3||6||14||9|
|Iowa St. Cyclones||2||7||13||11|
|Texas Tech Red Raiders||2||7||12||12|
If you look at the standings the season is not over yet. With a couple more wins, we could move up in the standings a little. It would help with Big XII conference tournament seeding!
I hope ISU will win! I likely won't be able to watch the game, but it is on WOI for those living in Iowa!